Thursday, September 29, 2011

Civil War Families Certificate Program

The Johnson County Arkansas Historical Society has launched a project in commemoration of the Civil War of The War Between the States Sesquicentennial. Membership is open to anyone who can document their descent from an ancestor who resided in Johnson County, Arkansas prior to the opening of hostilities between the Southern States and the Union. On Feb.8, 1861, Arkansas State Troops seized the Federal Arsenal in Little Rock. Although this is before the official date of seession and before shots were fired at Fort Sumter, SC., this was the first official at of rebellion in Arkansas. (from Johnson County Historical Society Quarterly Vol. 37 No. 1.)

I have been doing genealogy since I was in highschool and thought, no sweat, I have all this info.
There is a catch, family stories don't count...it has to be documented. So I start going thru folders in my Beasley box, Ancestory.com and Arkansas Archives on the computer. I knew that the Beasley family came to Johnson Co. following Anderson Beasley and Eveline Nicks' marriage in 1835 in Ill. They had three children, two sons and a daughter before he died in 1853. The two sons married and settled on Little Piney Creek. One, Alexander, died in service (USA) at Dardanelle and the other Quinton Dillard Beasley, my great grandfather, also served in the Union Army. Quinton's youngest son was my grandfather, Arthur "Bum" Beasley and my father
was his son , also named Quinton Dillard Beasley. So I gathered up my proof, made copies, filled out the needed forms and mailed it. Now I anxiously await the results, do I get a certificate or do I have to have more or different docmentation.

Want to get you a certificate, contact the Johnson County Historial Society, 131 West Main Street, Clarksville, Ar. 72830

No comments:

Post a Comment