Saturday, June 26, 2010

The picture I posted yesterday was of my daddy Quinton Beasley and his father Arthur Claude
'Bum' Beasley and it was posted on the 25th but like 1 am in the morning, guess my computer and I aren't in the same time frame.

Grandpa was known as 'Bum" all his life because he bummed pennies. He had an older brother whose name was Charles Anderson. I have noticed in some genealogy sites that it is indicated
that they are one person, C. A./A.C. There were definitely different people. Uncle Charlie was a hard worker and built the barn pictured here before moving to Hughes Co. Ok. He farmed and later moved into Wetumka. He has a large garden in his back yard with grapes and fruit trees.
There was a big garden at Grandpa's but it was called Grandma's garden.

Grandpa never owned an automobile and I don't remember ever seeing one at Uncle Charlie's. We always went to see him and he went to Little Piney with us to visit.

Wetumka's highschool burnt one year and they didn't have school that fall so Uncle Charlie's daughter Wanda went home with us. She was there the day I started to school. Years later I was visiting her family in Shawnee, Ok. Her son Dennis took me to meet a lady whose house he had wired for an intercom. It was my first grade teacher Mrs. Shubert. It is indeed a small world.

Uncle Charlie and Aunt Bertha had two daughters, Maxine and Wanda. Maxine's daughters were younger than I. One year we stayed at Uncle Charlies over Christmas. Santa still came to see me but not in Wetumka. I had to wait until we got home but I forgave him. There was a baby doll I named Jimmy, a quilted cradle and a little trunk filled with doll clothes, blankets and a flower garden quilt. That is one of the few Christmas's I remember from when I was young.

No comments:

Post a Comment