Friday, July 9, 2010

Happy Trails to you

Saturday afternoons- Roy Rogers on Trigger with Bullet leading the way. I am sure I saw every movie Roy made. As an adult touring his museum in Apple Valley I was a giddy as a teenager when he walked up to where I was looking at Trigger Jr. He told me about the exhibit that Trigger Jr. would be put in as we walked from the back of the museum to the front. Then out the door he went to greet more of his fans as they departed from a bus in the parking lot.

Before leaving we were in the gift shop and as he quietly slipped thru the shop to a side door to leave, I overheard a lady telling her husband "There he is, there's Roy, look ". The man turned to her and said "Roy Rogers wouldn't be in here", and didn't look. I remember looking at the autograph Roy had given me and thinking "You don't know what you missed Mister".

I knew that they closed the museum in recent years and brought it to Branson, Mo. I never got a chance to go see it there before it closed. Now I read that the items in it are going to be auctioned off. If I am ever going to win the lottery, NOW is the time. I could buy Trigger, Trigger Jr , Buttermilk, Bullet, and even Nellie Bell the jeep. I could live the Saturday afternoons of my past as I would tell my grandchildren and the great grands all about Roy, his beautiful wife Dale, and dear funny Andy Devine. My children and I could relive later Saturday afternoons as Roy rode across the TV screen in his white hat, catching the bad guys and singing to and with Dale. They don't make movies or TV shows like that anymore.

Oh the good ole days.........

No comments:

Post a Comment